The Wheatstone VP-8 IP multimode audio processor gives the cost/performance envelope a nice upward push. VP-8 Plus, the broadcast industry’s first multi-mode broadcast audio processor, is equipped with six built-in and highly specialized independent processing functions.
The VP-8 IP incorporates six highly specialized, built-in processing modes that may be changed at any time by the user.
Special processing algorithms designed by Wheatstone condition the audio appropriately for the special needs of each of the six operating modes. Audio is first pre-processed by a phase-linear four band AGC followed by an eight band multi-band limiter equipped with special mode-specific final processing. The final processing algorithms are unique for each mode and have been carefully designed to meet the special requirements of the intended audio transport mediums.
The VP-8 IP architecture includes processing for FM (with built-in reference grade stereo generator and inputs for SCA or RDS), AM/AM-Stereo, and four specially optimized processing modes. These four modes have been specially designed and tuned for the challenges of codec-based mediums such as FM-HD, AM-HD and low bitrate applications using the MP3/AAC codecs.
Regardless of the operating mode, the VP-8 IP offers the best listening experience of any audio processor in its price range. The VP-8 IP's built-in library of algorithms specifically addresses the special needs of FM, AM, FM-HD, and AM-HD, as well as High and Low bitrate codec applications.
A Vorsis innovation, the Vorsis Bass Management System (VBMS) circumvents bass-related distortion often plaguing audio processors. By monitoring program energy in the audio spectrum and manipulating the behavior of the final peak limiter, bass-induced intermodulation distortion is prevented. The result is improved bass impact and detail without affecting the clarity of mid and high frequency program -- in fact bass detail and the clarity of higher frequency audio are actually enhanced by the VBMS algorithm.
Exclusive to the Wheatstone line of audio processors is the Multipath Limiter. This single user control can help mitigate the audible effects of multipath as well as reduce receiver-induced stereo blend by limiting the amount of L-R as a percentage of L+R for a more consistent and predictable sound.
The VP-8 IP incorporates a new technology that we call Smart Stereo Enhancement. Operating in the sum and difference domain and under the management of specialized automatic level andspectral management algorithms, the resulting stereo image is wide and acoustically stable with no ‘hole in the middle’ effect. Producing a sound that has great depth of detail and is exciting to listen to, artistically important nuances in music can be revealed for the very first time. In fact, Wheatstone customers have reported hearing details in program material that were completely inaudible when the same material was processed by other brands of audio processing.
Selecting a new processing mode is as simple as selecting it from the front panel or from within the Windows®-based Graphical User Interface. Mode changes occur in less than two seconds, with no reboot or 'memory bank selection' being required in order to change the VP-8 Plus to a completely different processing mode.
The VP-8 IP is fully compatible with the WheatNet-IP Intelligent Network.
Wheatstone’s baseband192 is an open standard technology that eliminates the use of an analog composite interface between processing and transmission, which has been the last holdout to the 100% digital air chain.
A single AES/EBU cable between a Wheatstone processor and a current solid-state FM transmitter carries the baseband signal, bypassing the need
for multiplexing in the exciter and eliminating the resulting signal overshoot with associated loudness tradeoff. The baseband192 interface is now available as a standard feature in Wheatstone AirAura X3, FM-531HD and VP-8 IP audio processors.
Remote control is via 100BaseT wired Ethernet and Windows®-based GUI software.
Dimensions: Height - 1.73", Width - 17.398", Length - 13.325"
Purchase Wheatstone Products from BSW, and we will add an extra year to the manufacturer warranty. Giving you, 2 FULL years of coverage on your Wheatstone purchase! ONLY, from BSW.
• FM, AM, FM-HD, AM-HD, MP3/AAC>48k and MP3/AAC<48k modes
• Phase Rotator enhances voice symmetry for cleaner processing
• Automatic AES/Analog audio failover to backup input
• Exclusive Multipath Limiter (FM mode) for mitigating effects of multipath
• Event scheduler for automatic preset/daypart switching
• Four band parametric EQ (either before or after the AGC)
• Four band linear-phase crossover with adjustable frequencies
• Smooth and clean Vorsis multiband dynamics processing
• Precision, 'no-swish' eight band multi-band limiter
• Highly specialized pre-processing algorithms extract the best possible audio quality from codec-based applications
• Updated presets for exceptional on-air presence
• FM and AM modes equipped with an advanced distortion masked clipper for loud, clean, absolute FM and AM peak control
• FM mode equipped with 'Reference Grade' stereo encoder
• AM mode offers adjustable positive asymmetry up to 150% as well as low frequency tilt correction and dual transmitter outputs
• AM Mode features selectable low pass filters for 4.5 kHz, 5 kHz, 5.5 kHz, 6.5 kHz, 7.5 kHz, 6 kHz CCIR and 10 kHz NRSC
• Front panel setup and configuration menu eliminates the need for a PC during installation
• WheatNet-IP compatible
• Wheatstone® baseband192 built in for digital link to transmitter